Ft. Leavenworth CGSC / FMWR Triathlon
5 May 2018 8:00 AM @ Harney Sports Complex
Getting on to Fort Leavenworth:
For those participants that DO NOT have a Military issued Identification Card (CAC or DD Form 2), please arrive 20-30 minutes earlier than normal on Saturday morning because you will have to go through a background check over at the temporary facility located next to the National Guard / Mission Command Training Complex (north of the intersection of 4th Street and Metropolitan Ave). Please ensure everyone in the vehicle has an approved photo ID with them (such as a driver’s license). This can also be
accomplished Friday afternoon if you come to Packet Pick up so that you
won’t have to do it Saturday morning. For those CCP holders, remember concealed carry is NOT allowed on Federal Property.
The course consists of a 200yd indoor swim, a 12.6 mile bike route, and a 3.12 mile run.
The swim will be an individual staggered start beginning in Lane 1 and
swimming a serpentine route ending in Lane 8.
Exit the pool area thru the back door out into the parking lot to the
first transition area (T1). Leave T1 and proceed out on to the bike
The bike course is an “out and back” route. It has several STEEP hills and winding sections of the route. See the Athlete’s Guide for a detailed description of the route. If the roads are wet you need to be alert for slick areas because of wet foliage and deadfall from the trees. The route is two-way traffic for riders (you will have riders on the left side of the road going in the opposite direction).
NOTE – This IS A DRAFT LEGAL race, however you CANNOT ride two abreast
because of the limited road space. If passing a rider, you have 15
seconds to overtake the rider and move towards the right.
After returning to the transition area (T2) you will rerack your bike
and proceed out on the run. See the attached Route diagram for the
- You cannot mount your bike until crossing the MOUNT Line just outside
of T1. Likewise you must dismount prior to the line returning to T2.
- You must have your helmet on AND FASTENED before mounting your bike. Like wise you cannot remove or unfasten your helmet until you are off your bike.
- You cannot discard trash or equipment along the bike route. Keep it
with you until the ride is finished.
- Headphones / earphones are not allowed on the bike course. This is a
- When overtaking another cyclist, announce your intent to pass by stating “On your left!” or “Coming left.” This is to prevent the front rider from moving in front of you (hence the reason for no earphones / headphones on the bike route).
- Each rider is responsible for any breakdown out on the bike course.
- Be alert for other riders, and runners. This is the FIRST triathlon
for a lot of the competitors.
Packet Pick Up:
Packet pick-up will be Friday May 4, 2018 from 4-6 PM at:
Santa Fe Trails Bike Shop will be on hand to adjust bikes as needed. Packets can also be picked up Saturday morning in Harney Gym prior to the race.
Video of the 2017 CGSC Triathlon Bike Route:
For more information contact the Race Director: firstname.lastname@example.org